"See this apple? Stuff the corehole with candied chestnuts and a dribble with honey, bake it in the oven, then serve it piping hot with meadowcream."
So that's just what I did. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 apples of your favorite type (I used Ida Reds)
- 8 chestnuts (I found peel, roasted chestnuts in the Kosher section of my supermarket)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wash the apples thoroughly, then cut them horizontally in half, so you have a stem half and a bottom half.
- Using a melon baller or a strong spoon, scoop out the core and seeds from the center of each apple.
- Place the apples in a baking dish -- any size that will hold all of your apples.
- Chop the chestnuts roughly, then fill each hole with a drop of honey and the chestnuts.
- Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon.
- Wrap the dish in aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
- Serve hot and, if desired, topped with meadowcream.