15 August, 2015

Meadowcream

Meadowcream is, of course, mentioned in every single Redwall book. It was one of many things which had me constantly licking my lips and wishing I had a snack. A sweet snack, covered in meadowcream. The description of meadowcream, however, was practically non-existent. After much reading, I eventually decided that meadowcream should be a sweet, thick, creamy sauce that has the potential to be whipped into a whipped-cream like state, though it doesn't necessarily need to be. This is what came to mind.

Meadowcream

Cook time: 10 minutes
Cool time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

Yield: One pint

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 2 cups milk (my meadowcream is off-white because I used soymilk, but the recipe should work with any milk or milk alternative)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp almond extract

Directions


  1. Whisk together cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan until dissolved and free of clumps.
  2. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
  3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 6-10 minutes or until thickened.
  4. Pour into a jar, cover, and refrigerate until chilled. 
  5. If you want to whip your meadowcream, pour it into a chilled metal bowl and whip with a stand or hand mixer until stiff peaks form. The peaks will not hold forever, so whip immediately before using. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Exactly what I was looking for! The Redwall series is one of my absolute favorite series of all time. Thank you for making a recipe for the famous meadow cream! I can’t wait to use it (whipped) with a honey cake and fresh raspberries

    ReplyDelete