Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 large or 16 small scones
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the flour, sugar, and baking power into a food processor fitted with a dough blade and give it a whirl to combine. (Alternatively, whisk together by hand)
- Cut the butter into small pieces, add to the food processor, and run until worked in, scraping down dry flour from the sides if necessary. (Alternatively, cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter or two knives.
- Add the milk and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and knead briefly if necessary to help the dough form. (My food processor had trouble getting the last of the flour incorporated, so I did that by hand).
- Shape the dough into one or two flat disks and stud the disks -- both sides -- with the fresh blueberries.
- Cut the disk(s) into eight wedges.
- Bake until the scones are golden brown and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven to cool, then break the scones apart and enjoy!
If you want, these could be topped with a glaze of milk and powdered sugar. You also could add lemon zest or cinnamon to the flour for additional flavor.