A note: I baked this in a 8x8-inch square pan because I wanted to cut it into many small, easily share-able pieces. If you are planning on only splitting this between a few people, though, feel free to bake it in a 9-inch round pan like a normal cake.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 9-inch cake
- 2 honeycrisp apples
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/5 cups white whole wheat flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Peel the apples and slice them thinly. I used my mandolin on the 1/6" setting. A knife would work well, too, just try to cut them as thinly as you can.
- Arrange apple slices to cover the bottom of your pan. Dice any remaining slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (baking soda through salt).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (oil through vanilla).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until just combined. You should have a very thick dough.
- Add in the chopped leftover apple.
- Gently press the dough into the pan, taking care to not disrupt your apple slices.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let the cake cool (preferably on a rack) COMPLETELY (don't get impatient like me and do this too soon), then invert the cake onto a platter so the apple slices are on top.
- Cut up the cake and enjoy! If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with ice cream.