Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 16 large squares or 32 smaller rectangles
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 tbsp butter (softened)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- milk (maybe)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, almonds, and cornstarch.
- In a separate, larger bowl beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Beat the almond extract into the butter and sugar.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until uniform. At this point, you may need to add a tablespoon of milk. You want the dough to be dry but still stick together. If you have crumbling sand dough, add milk one tablespoon at a time until the dough will stick together when squeezed.
- With wet hands, press the dough into an 8"x8" pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on a cooling rack, then cut into slices with a sharp knife and serve.