Carrot and Mushroom Bake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 10 servings as a side dish or 6 as an entree with sides
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 pound carrots, shredded
- 2 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs, divided
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add onion and saute about 5 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to the skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Drain any water the mushrooms sweat.
- Add spices, carrots, and 1 cup of the breadcrumbs to the skillet and mix well.
- Pour the warm mixture into a 9x13 baking pan and top with the remaining cup of bread crumbs.
- Top with the shredded cheese, then bake for 40 minutes.