Prep time: 20 minutes (less if you're a faster cherry pitter than I am)
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 1 cake (I recommend 8 slices)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 30 fresh cherries
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Stem, halve, and pit the cherries. You should end up with about two cups of cherry halves
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Place cherries, milk, vinegar, oil, and vanilla into a blender and puree until smooth. It's ok if you have some bits of cherry skin still floating around.
- Pour the cherry mixture into the flour mixture and mix very gently. The baking soda and vinegar will react and you don't want to push out the air.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is dry and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack until ready to slice and serve.