20 June, 2015

Cherry and Meadowcream Pie

Cherries are in season! This makes me so happy; cherries are one of my favorite fruits. When I read about this pie in The Outcast of Redwall, I thought immediately that it would work beautifully with a thickly set, meadowcream pudding. It turns out I was right. I kept my cherries in large halves and lined the bottom of the pie crust, but feel free to chop them and mix them into the meadowcream; just stir occasionally during the chilling process to re-suspend them. I also used a pre-made crust because I was in a rush making this for a birthday. If you have the time, I highly recommend making your own crust, either out of shortbread or a simple pastry dough.

Cherry and Meadowcream Pie



Cook time: 5 minutes
Chill time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours, 5 minutes

Yield: One pie (eight slices recommended)

Ingredients


  • Pie crust, baked if necessary
  • One batch of meadowcream (cooked but not yet set)
  • Halved, pitted cherries (I used about 14)
Directions

  1. Line the bottom of the pie crust with cherry halves, cut side down.

  2. Cook the meadowcream. While still hot and liquidy, slowly pour over the cherries until the crust is filled.
  3. Cover the pie with plastic wrap so that the plastic is completely touching the cream. (No air should be touching the custard. This will prevent a skin from forming.
  4. Chill the pie for about 4 hours or until set.
  5. Slice and serve.
If you have extra meadowcream, just pour it into ramekins or mason jars and let set on its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment