Mushroom and Barley Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 4 ounces shittake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup pearled barley (don't use instant -- I found the real stuff in the kosher section of my grocery store, not with the other grains)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- Mince the garlic and finely chop the onion.
- Remove the stems of the mushrooms and thinly slice the caps.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute the garlic and onions for 5 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, barley, and thyme, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 40 minutes. At the end, you want the barley to be like al dente pasta -- no longer crunchy and uncooked, but still providing some resistance to your teeth. You don't want mushy, overcooked barley.
- Add water (or more broth, if you prefer) until the soup reaches your preferred consistency -- I added about a cup and a half. Heat briefly, then serve.