Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 leek
- 3 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 pound potatoes (preferably Yukon gold)
- 6 cups seafood stock (If you can't get it, vegetable stock is fine)
- 2 cups dry white wine or sherry
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 8 ounces whole button mushrooms
- 8 ounces cooked shellfish meat (chunked crab, oysters, clams, etc)
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp (de-shelled and de-tailed)
- Roughly chop the leek, and carrots and peel the garlic.
- Roughly chop the potatoes.
- Melt the butter (or heat the oil) in a large soup pot and saute the leek, carrots, and garlic for 5 minutes or until the leek is soft.
- Add the potatoes and saute another 5 minutes
- Add the stock, wine, and tomato paste and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the cornstarch into the milk.
- When the soup is done simmering and the potatoes are tender, puree using an immersion blender or a regular blender in batches.
- Stir in the milk/cornstarch mixture, the Worcestershire, the pepper, and the fish. Simmer until fish is heated through.