Shrimp and Mushroom Pasty
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 30-35 minutes
Yield: 8 pasties
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces shrimp, shells and tails removed
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 recipe puff pastry dough or pre-made biscuit dough.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Finely chop onion and pepper
- Add oil, onion, and pepper to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until softened.
- Add mushrooms to pan and sweat until softened
- Add shrimp to pan. If you're using raw shrimp, stir them around until fully cooked. If you're using thawed, cooked shrimp (I used pre-cooked salad shrimp...it's finals week...) then just stir them around to be sure there's no remaining ice on them.
- Add cayenne pepper and set the skillet aside to cool slightly.
- Roll and cut your dough into 8 large circles (if you're using biscuit dough, separate the biscuits).
- Cup one circle of dough in your palm to create a bowl (or pull the biscuit apart halfway).
- Spoon some of the shrimp mixture into the dough, being very careful not to burn yourself.
- Crimp the edges of the circle together to seal and lay it on your sheet.
- Repeat for the other 7 circles.
- Bake pasties for 10-15 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.