PLEASE NOTE: Yet again, this is a recipe which needs to be started the day before you want it. Be prepared.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cool time: 24 hours
Total time: 24 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 24 ounces (Three glasses)
- 24 ounces water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups strawberries (I used frozen, thawed strawberries that I bought and froze at the peak of strawberry season) (I have also successfully tried this with raspberries, but ot have not yet tried any other fruit)
- Place fresh or thawed strawberries into a large, heat-proof bowl.
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat water to a low boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Pour hot water over strawberries and allow to sit until cooled to room temperature (about 90 minutes).
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for the rest of the 24 hour cool time.
- Remove bowl from refrigerator and use a slotted spoon to remove the strawberries (Keep these -- they are great smushed onto toast or added to a smoothie). The water should now be a bright, jewel red.
- Use a ladle to pour liquid into glasses or funnel into bottles for later.